Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Weaklaw Rocks, Fidra Battery / Marine Villa
- HER number: MEL1260
- HER number: MEL2430
- Site Name: Weaklaw Rocks, Fidra Battery / Marine Villa
- Grid Reference: 350290 685959
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: WWII coastal battery
- Description: NT58NW 45 5029 8596
The few remains of this coast battery have mostly been subsumed under the site of Marine Villa to the N of Eldbottle Wood. It is possible that part of the battery could be incorporated into the house. One searchlight emplacement still stands on the shore and the battery observation post can be seen behind the modern house. The engine room was recently demolished and another house built on the site.
The battery was constructed during World War Two and mounted two 6-inch Mk XI guns, numbered 2234 and 2274 issued May 1940, on Mk PVI mountings.
J A Guy 1997; NMRS MS 810/5, 163, 164, 169-171.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Redfern, N I. 1998. Twentieth century fortifications in the United Kingdom. 128, 129, 130.
- Bibliographic reference: Tully-Jackson and Brown, J and I. 2001. East Lothian at war, vol.2, Haddington. 27--8.
- Bibliographic reference: Saunders, A. 1984. 'The defences of the Firth of Forth', p.469-80. 477.