Dunbar Golf Course
- HER number: MEL2837
- Site Name: Dunbar Golf Course
- Grid Reference: 368808 678429
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Cist (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Burial (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Iron Age cist with child burial, curvilinear features, and a single sherd of Samian pottery
- Description: NT67NE 186 centred 6882 7842
(1) NT 6880 7844 (centre) Archaeological investigations were undertaken in advance of the construction of a new tractor shed. The work began as a watching brief, but as features were uncovered the whole area of the tractor shed and service trench were stripped and area excavation was undertaken.
A fragment of Roman samian ware was recovered, although no features or deposits of archaeological interest were associated with it. A series of curvilinear and linear features and a cist were excavated. The curvilinear and linear features did not form a recognisable structure and yielded only bone. Their relationship to the cist is uncertain. The cist was of drystone construction and contained the skeleton of a child which was in a flexed position and face down. A copper-alloy penannular brooch was located in the area of the ribs.
A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
Bain Swan Architects for Dunbar Golf Club.
L Baker 2000.
(2) (3) The final report on the excavation contains radiocarbon dates (75-242 cal AD) for the burial, human bone report, and a report on the copper alloy brooch.
(4) "Trial excavations carried out in advance of building a new tractor shed yielded a cist burial, a sherd of Samian pottery and uncovered a series of linear and curvilinear features. The cist burial contained the remains of a child, accompanied by a copper-alloy pennanular brooch. Nothing of archaeological note was seen at the location during this survey."
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Baker, L. 2000b. 'Dunbar Golf Course, East Links, Dunbar, East Lothian (Dunbar parish), watching brief and excavation', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 1 2000, p.24. 24.
- (2) Unpublished document: Baker, L and Miller, J. 2000. Archaeological Investigations at Dunbar Golf Course, East Lothian.
- (3) Unpublished document: Baker, L. 2000. An Iron Age Child Burial at Dunbar Golf Course, East Lothian.
- (4) Unpublished document: Moore, H and Wilson, G. 2006. Report on Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: East Lothian and Scottish Borders. site no. 135.