Dunbar, Westgate, St Anne's Episcopal Church / High Street, Lawson Place
- HER number: MEL2852
- Site Name: Dunbar, Westgate, St Anne's Episcopal Church / High Street, Lawson Place
- Grid Reference: 367814 679054
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Church (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Church, 1889-90
- Description: NT67NE 188 67815 79055
NT67NE 193 67815 79055 Rectory and Church Hall
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Designed by Hew Montgomerie Wardrop circa 1886, executed by
Sir R Rowand Anderson 1889-90; never completed. Gothic style.
Snecked, rake-jointed sandstone rubble, stugged ashlar
dressings, red tiled roof. Plain skew with gablet skewputts.
Nave running E-W without aisles. Truncated tower with
pyramidal roof to N at crossing point, porch at NW and small
chapel at SW opposite.
E GABLE: 2 clasping and 2 stepped buttresses. Base and string
courses. Central, decoratively canopied niche, rose window
above. Lancet windows, with mouchettes, flanking between
buttresses. Cross finial. Flanking chancel bays N and S with
cusped round arched windows.
N FRONT: massive tower adjoining with stepped angle
buttresses; 2-light arched, traceried windows at low level.
2 pointed windows in nave to W. Steeply gabled crowstepped
porch to W with pointed arched entrance.
W GABLE: unbuttressed, with Y-mullioned 4-light pointed
windows, with cusped mouchettes and hoodmould.
ST MARGARET'S CHAPEL: Gilbert Ogilvie, architect, 1919. Set
back from W gable, abutting rubble rigg wall at S. Pointed,
2-light traceries window.
INTERIOR: Plaster and sandstone ashlar dressings. Continuous
nave and chancel; nave of 5 bays. Open vault with double tie
beamed timber roof to nave; wagon-roof to chancel. Oak rood
screen with figures, Willis 1896. Carved oak pulpit,
communion table and rail.
STAINED GLASS: E gable windows 1889-90 and 2 nave windows,
Ballantine and Gardner 1904. 2 nave windows, Abbey Studio
1945-6. Other windows lead paned. Vestry room and organ in
tower through chancel arch. War memorial in St Margaret's
Chapel. Coffered and painted ceiling; sandstone aumbry and
oak reredos. Stained glass, Butler and Bayne, circa 1920.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: