Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL307
- Site Name: Grant Braes
- Grid Reference: 348999 668999
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Stray find of axehead, Middle Bronze Age
- Description: NT46NE 13 c. 49 69.
A Middle Bronze Age flanged axe (Coles' Class II, Haddington type) measuring 6" x 2 1/4" from Grant Braes was purchased from the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS] before 1892 (Accession no: DC 15).
NMAS 1892; J M Coles 1966
No further information.
Visited by OS (BS) 24 July 1975.
(Long-flanged axe of Kirtomy type). Single find. Flanged axe, corroded, green surface, wall-stop, hammered blade; length 155mm, butt 25mm, stop-height 9mm, cutting edge 60mm; weight 475 gms. NMAS DC 15.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Coles, J M. 1966a. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. 135.
- Bibliographic reference: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9 Part 7. 83, no. 496.
- Bibliographic reference: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 129.