Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Gosford House, North Lodge, Gatepiers And Sea Wall / Gosford Estate, Wemyss And March
- HER number: MEL3244
- Site Name: Gosford House, North Lodge, Gatepiers And Sea Wall / Gosford Estate, Wemyss And March
- Grid Reference: 344941 678719
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Late 18th century gate lodges
- Description: NT47NW 70 44942 78720
NT47NW 49.00 45287 78587 Gosford House
(1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Late 18th century, remodelled, Robert William Billings, 1857, twin Jacobean octagonal plan lodges to NW of Gosford House, breaking sea front wall built, circa 1800. Squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings. Octagonal lodges, each with window to road with mannered pediment and finial. Each doorway inside gateway with similarly detailed pediment, pointed arched window to outer sides. Cornice and parapet pierced on each face by mannered open arches with overthrow, narrow dormer with semi-circular pediment breaking parapet above roadside window with ball-finial and cipher panel. Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern, grey slates to polygonal roof, central corniced stack. Pair of blind oval oculi flanking lodges each side in outside wall with rope-moulded surrounds.
GATEPIERS: 2 tall gatepiers with spike finialled pyramidal caps, each linked to flanking lodge by curtain wall with broken ashlar coping and pedestrian pend.
POLICY WALLS: rubble coped, rubble wall to road and sea.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.