Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Lauderdale House, High Street, Dunbar
- HER number: MEL3318
- Site Name: Lauderdale House, High Street, Dunbar
- Grid Reference: 367816 679181
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: House built in 1740, additions in 1792. Later used as barracks during the First and Second World Wars
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Original centre block circa 1740, substantial flanking wings
and alterations 1792, R and J Adam. 3-storey and basement
pavilions; 2-storey, basement and attic centre. U-plan
classical mansion. Red sandstone, squared rubble to S (rear)
and W elevations; rendered E side and ashlar N front. Ashlar
dressings and projecting cill and band courses defining
ground and 2nd floor levels. 12-pane glazing pattern. Slate
roof with ashlar stacks.
N ENTRANCE FRONT: 7-bay central block advanced centre 3 bays
spanning basement recess; semi-circular portico adjoining
enclosing steps, massive Ionic columns and paterae frieze.
Balustrade with blank panels continued over portico and
recessed flanks. Semi-circular arched doorway, decorative
fanlight and panelled double doors. Boldly advanced,
pedimented, 3-bay, flanking pavilions. Arched recess at
centres, each enclosing tripartite window and 12-pane sash
window above. Dentil cornice.
S ELEVATION TO HIGH STREET: 2-storey 7-bay centre, set back
with advanced 3 central bays with arched recess enclosing
window and blind balustrade. Fluted and paterae frieze,
balustrade and parapet raised at centre, supporting winged
sphinx figure. Advanced, pedimented 3-bays at ends; ground
floor windows of W bays heightened.
E ELEVATION: altered for military accommodation; hollow well
behind full-height archway at centre bridged by balconies
with iron railings.
INTERIOR: little of original remaining. Dentilled
plasterwork; dado rail, classical timber fireplace in hall.
Stone stair; cast-iron balustrade and wooden rail.
World War One Audit of Surviving Remains:
During the First World War Lauderdale House was used to accommodate army units and during the Second World War, it was the HQ of 165th Officer Training Unit, which was also responsible for the defence of the town and the adjacent areas against German invasion.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Werner Company of Chicago. 1894. Beautiful Britain: the scenery and the splendours of the United Kingdom: views of our stately houses ... royal residences, palaces and castles, bowers and hunting-lodges, river banks and islets, th????B???????B???B???
- Bibliographic reference: Lindsay, M. 1958. 'Dunbar hoar Antiquity', Scot Fld 1958, p.38 - 39. 38 - 39.