Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Dunbar, 15 Church Street, Beach House Hotel / Beach House
- HER number: MEL3326
- Site Name: Dunbar, 15 Church Street, Beach House Hotel / Beach House
- Grid Reference: 368025 678937
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Early 19th century house/hotel
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Early 19th century. 2-storey, basement and attic house.
Original T-plan, 3-bay form extended by advanced and taller
pavilion block to S circa 1825. Rendered, droved ashlar with
piended slate roof at varying heights with slated gable
dormers. 3 x 4 paned sashes.
W front of 3-bay original with raised cill course at 1st
floor. Canted pilastered porch with side windows and
tripartite panelled doors (outer and vestibule) with
horizontally paned fanlights. Parapet above. Architraved
windows with fielded panels above 1st floor sashes. N ground
floor window altered as French windows. Extension block of 1
bay; plain margined windows and projecting string course
below 1st floor.
N front with raised band course below full-height arched
recess; tripartite window with 12-paned sash at 1st floor in
recess; single window above.
REAR E FRONT: flat-roofed 2-storey extension block adjoining
ground floor and basement of house, added by 1907.
INTERIOR: geometric tiled floor to porch and hall, with Greek
key plasterwork and architraved doors. Decorative stained
glass flanking hall entrance. Stone staircase with decorative
cast-iron balustrade and timber rail. Shuttered windows,
architraved doors. Alterations effected by extensions.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (2) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 222.