For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL340
- Site Name: Saltoun Hall
- Grid Reference: 346080 668439
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: 15th century tower house incorporated into 18th and 19th century mansion
- Description: NT46NE 8.00 4608 6844.
(NT 4608 6844) Saltoun Hall (NAT)
OS 6" map (1969)
(1) (2) Saltoun Hall, a large mansion in Castellated Gothic style, was built by William Burn from 1817 on a basis of earlier work. The house faces N. The earliest part is the range on the W. In 1769 Lord Fletcher was adding a two-storey wing along what is now the S front; all that is left of it is an inscribed tablet now in the gallery. This wing and the old block formed and 'L', with a stair in the angle. In 1803, Robert Burn added turrets at the engles and castellated the whole work, but William Burn's vast enlargements obliterated all the earlier structure. The Hall was subdivided into flats in 1967.
In the 12th century, Saltoun was a possession of the de Morevilles; in 1548 it was one of the strengths occupied by the English, and in 1643 the lands and barony of Saltoun with tower, manor place, etc were sold to Sir Andrew Fletcher.
C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1920
Visited by OS (BS) 25 July 1975.
NT46NE 8.00 NT 4608 6844
NT46NE 8.01 NT 4610 6838 Garden
NT46NE 8.02 NT 4608 6844 Sundial
NT46NE 8.03 NT 462 683 Ornamental well
NT46NE 8.04 NT 45516 67626 West Lodge
NT46NE 8.05 NT 46461 68227 South Lodge
NT46NE 8.06 NT 457 688 Garden Cottage
NT46NE 8.07 NT 45864 68874 Gas works
NT46NE 25 NT 46507 68842 North Lodge
NT46NE 27 NT 46979 68975 Home farm
NT46NE 28 NT 4625 6830 Stables; dovecot
(3) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: William Burn, 1818-1825, Tudor mansion, incorporating 15th century towerhouse to W, a 2-storey, 4-bay addition to E, 1769-1775, alterations by Robert Burn in 1803; converted to flats, Robin Jell, 1967-1971.
Sited on high ground by Birns Water to N of West Saltoun. 3-storey and basement main block with taller rectangular tower, and 2-storey and basement wing to E. Pink sandstone ashlar with base course, hoodmoulds, chamfered and cavetto reveals and crenellated parapet; stone mullions; rendered and lined repairs to S and W.
MAIN BLOCK: roughly square in plan, around tower.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay. 5 recessed bays at centre linked to full-height square pavilions by single storey crenellated loggia; loggia comprised of set-off buttresses dividing 3 4-centred archways; narrow windows flanking. 4-centred doorway at centre closely flanked by narrow windows and with 4-centred openings to each end of loggia, blinded with Gothic panelling. Ribbed stone vault with ornately carved bosses and capitals. Bipartite windows to pavilions at ground and 1st floor, smaller single windows at 2nd.
S ELEVATION: 6-bay. SW pair of bays set at obtuse angle on ground falling to Birns Water; 4 bays to right, 1769-76, with rectangular entrance bay projecting off-centre to left in tower form, breaking main parapet with further crenellated parapet; wrought-iron railings to steps leading to deeply graded reveal of 4-centred doorway; windows in ground floor bays, smaller at 1st and 2nd floors (4-centres in 4 2nd floor bays to centre and right). Corbelled bartizans at 2nd floor with glazed arrow slits and parapets.
W ELEVATION: 7 irregular bays, largely 15th century, in splayed line. Circular tower off-centre to right. 2 blinded windows.
E WING: William Burn. 5-bay N elevation with outer left bay as square pavilion; tripartite and traceried windows at ground, 4-centred bipartites at 1st floor (tripartite in pavilion). 3-stage circular tower set in re-entrant angle with main block. Crenellated porte-cochere on E elevation with polygonal piers and 4-centre archways and windows; circular, crenellated stair tower to left of entrance. 7-bay S elevation with 3 bays to left of centre canted; windows to each floor in each bay, some 4-centred. Small- and horziontal-pane glazing patterns to sash and case windows. Decorative cans retained.
INTERIOR: largely by William Burn in Gothic style. Saloon particularly fine, rectangular in plan with side galleries over 4-centred archways with rib vaulted soffits to passages; ribbed spandrels below circular whispering gallery and octagonal rotunda; ornate ceiling. Panelled library with marble chimneypiece and ribbed ceiling.
TERRACES: crenellated ashlar parapet with polygonal piers to buttressed terrace by Birns Water at E.
ENCLOSURE: circular tradesman's bay to E of house, comprised of cast-iron railings, open to N.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Hannan, T. 1928. Famous Scottish houses: the Lowlands. 157.
- Bibliographic reference: Small, J. 1883a. The castles and mansions of the Lothians.
- Bibliographic reference: Perriam, A. 2002. 'The Reincarnation of the County's Great Houses as New Communities', East Lothian Life, issue39, spring 2002.
- Bibliographic reference: Scotland's Magazine. 1962. Saltoun, Scotland's Mag 1962, p.18.
- Bibliographic reference: Saltoun Recollections. 1803. Recollections respecting the family of the Fletchers of Saltoun.
- Bibliographic reference: Minay, P I M. 1976. 'James Justice (1698-1763); eighteenth century Scots horticulturalist and botanist', J Garden Hist Vol. 4 Part 2 1976, p.53-91. 88.
- Bibliographic reference: Michaelis-Jena, R. 1963. 'Home of a patriot: Fletcher of Saltoun', Scot Fld Vol. 110 Part 721 1963, p.30-1, 33.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 423-4.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 108, No.164.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.