Ormiston Hall, The Old Hall / Old Ormiston Hall
- HER number: MEL355
- Site Name: Ormiston Hall, The Old Hall / Old Ormiston Hall
- Grid Reference: 341123 667635
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Country House (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Early 17th century hall
- Description: NT46NW 22 41108 67619.
(NT 41108 67619) Old Ormiston belongs to two periods, an L-shaped structure dating to the 16th c, and a 17th c extension. The 17th c section is notable for the very massive chimney which rises near the E end of the range. The windows of the earlier house have moulded jambs. The original entrance is by an arched and moulded doorway near the re-entrant angle.
N Tranter 1962
Old Ormiston is generally as described. It has been renovated.
Visited by OS (BS) 20 October 1975
NT46NW 22 41108 67619
NT46NW 51 41146 67634 Stables
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: THE OLD HALL: early 17th century. Near symmetrical, L-plan 2-storey range, probably incorporating earlier fragments. Rubble with large stone quoins; roll-moulded, arched doorway, and altered roll-moulded window at rear. Vaulted cellars, substantially rebuilt above, probably in later 18th century. 3 vaulted chambers. Wide stone newel stair, originally continuing further up. 3 uneven bays with forestair to SW of kitchen with forestair to courtyard. Further extension of SE with large wallhead stack.
SE wing: 2 bays extended from corner with round arched former cart arch. 3 additional bays to SE with central forestair, all 1st floor windows gabletted. Single storey pantiled rear extention. All extentions rubble built, variations in execution, with large quoin stones. Slate roofs.
STABLE RANGE: converted to domestic range. Comprised of blocks of various ages, as Old Hall above. SW section circa 1805 (described on plan as new stables). 2 near symmetrical blocks each 3-bay with central door and 1 loft opening above. 7-bay range to NE, circa 1800, with 3 low segmental arches and small windows above.
12-pane glazing pattern predominating in sash and case windows. Grey-green slates; ashlar coped skews. Skylights added to stable range.
WALLED GARDEN: remains of rubble walls of large L-plan walled garden to SE, containing ancient yew tree, with branches re-rooted (similar in age to that at Whittingehame Tower); John Knox and George Wishart ae said to have preached under the arbour thus created.
Curtain wall remains of the latter Hall, lie to E, built by John Baxter, 1745-8, extended by Alexander Steven and George Tod, 1772 and further enlarged in ealry 19th century. Walled garden which accompanied the later house, is listed separately, as are Belsis Cottage (gardiner's house), the North and South Lodges and the Dovecot. The ruins of St Giles Kirk (former parish church are currently scheduled and lie to SW of original hall. The Old Hall was built by the Cockburn family, and presumably was deserted and converted to offices when the new Hall was built circa 1745, by John Cockburn. In 1748 the lands passed to the Earls of Hopetoun. It was John Cockburn who planned Ormiston as a model village from 1730.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Tranter, N. 1962-70. 'The fortified house in Scotland'. Vol.1, 46.