Salt Store, High Street, Cockenzie
- HER number: MEL6507
- HER number: MEL8770
- HER number: MEL8771
- HER number: MEL3691
- Site Name: Salt Store, High Street, Cockenzie
- Grid Reference: 339924 675665
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Salt Store (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Post-medieval salt store
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
Probably 17th century in origin with later alterations. Rectangular-plan 2-storey store. Red and yellow sandstone rubble, with later harling and brick repairs.
N (SHORE) ELEVATION: gabled with large segmental arched doorway to centre with giant masonry blocks forming jambs and voussoirs; deep-set door (2 leaf, modern). Square-headed, lower opening to left. Loft door in gablehead with timber lintel (now blocked).
S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: piend-roofed elevation; door to centre flanked by windows; window breaking eaves above door, with swept dormer. Later lean-to addition to right.
W ELEVATION: harled to piended S end to right with door at ground and window above, buttress. Substantial low stone buttress to centre. Opening at ground to left of centre with voussoirs; further opening to left with later loft door and window breaking eaves above.
Timber sash and case and hopper windows to S elevation with metal grilles. Red pantiles to piended roof and to wallhead as guttering to end, otherwise corrugated sheet metal and rooflights.
INTERIOR: Little internal detailing survives.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 5040/10/A
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: The salt store may have been connected with the neighbouring Cockenzie House and the saltworks of the Earls of Winton from 1680, purchased by the Cadell family in 1722. By 1793, this major industry for the burgh evidenced 11 pans. Although altered especially to the street, this salt store is an important fragment of the once burgeoning industry in the area and contains early fabric which is similarly of special interest.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: 1st (1854) EDITION OS MAP; Grace Bogie COCKENZIE: A HAVEN FOR THE JOHNSTONS (1989); PRESTONPANS AND VICINITY pp22-5.
(2) Historic Scotland gave this an inaccurate grid ref. Point moved to NT 3991 7567 .
Historic building recording undertaken by Headland Archaeology in June 2005 concludes that the building is probably a late 18th century extension to a now demolished 17th or 18th century store to the north-west, subsequently raised and later altered in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The remaining part of the salt works, the storehouse, is situated on the N side of the High Street and E side of the harbour (NT37NE 3). The surviving two-storey rectangular building was originally on the SE side of a larger group set around a courtyard.
Built in mainly red sandstone rubble, there have been later brick and harling repairs. The building also shows evidence of possible alterations, with the W elevation having in its lower N end seve ral courses of rougher stonework. A modern corrugated roof hides evidence of pantiles at the N end.
The Salt works are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Haddingtonshire, 1865, sheet 9 and the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Haddington shire, 1894, sheet 9), which show that at that date were annotated 'Cockenzie Works' with tank, pumps and an early waggonway or tramway connection (NT37NE 6), from the main Edinburgh to Berwick railway and Tranent.
The salt store may have had links with the adjacent Cockenzie House and saltworks owned by the Earls of Winton (NT37NE 1). Dating from the late 17th century they were bought by the Cadell family who also owned industrial property at Cramond, in 1722. The building has been altered particularly on the street frontage and remains the surviving fragment of this well known East Lothian industry,, and has been recently in use as a training centre.
Visited by RCAHMS 2004; Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2007
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Geddes, G. 2006d. 'The former saltworks, High Street, Cockenzie, East Lothian (Tranent parish), historic building recording and watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.7, 2006, p.63, Dorchester. 63.
- Bibliographic reference: McNeill, P. 1902. Prestonpans and vicinity: historical ecclesiastical and traditional, Tranent; Edinburgh and Glasgow. 22-5.
- (2) Unpublished document: Geddes, G.. 2005. The Salt Works, High Street, Cockenzie: Level 1 and Level 3 Historic Building Recording.