Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Humbie Parish Church, Churchyard
- HER number: MEL3171
- HER number: MEL4053
- Site Name: Humbie Parish Church, Churchyard
- Grid Reference: 346100 663721
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Churchyard, from at least the 17th century
- Description: (1) Listed Scotland Listed Building Description:
BROUN AISLE: dated 1864. Bryce sited by W gate, on
rising ground, adjoined to retaining walls. Squared,
snecked and tooled cream sandstone with ashlar
dressings; moulded cornice. Pointed arch doorway with
hoodmould in S gable end, with dedication panel above
and Broun shield at apex. Decorative cross finial.
3 bipartite openings with transoms to E with decorative
cast-iron railings and leaded glazing pattern above.
Grey dressed stone buttresses dividing lancets and 1 to
E of doorway. Narrow lancet in N gable end.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble boundary walls, with office to
N, abutting wall, erected 1842. Fine gravestones dating
from earlier church, classically detailed and with
variety of memento mori.
Church historical notice. SRO RHP 7345, RHP 40942, RHP
40943. SRO HR 164.6 Account Book see 17 December 1928.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such (Church of
Scotland). On site of earlier church, in ox bow of
Humbie Burn, on steep ground. Chancel probably by W
J Walker Todd Architect because he was paid $63 in 1928
for reporting and advising on the church. Organ
transferred from Norwegian Lutheran Kirk, Leith, in
1987. Broun Aisle erected by Archibald Broun of
Johnstonburn "in lieu of the burial place of his family
within the church, which in deference to the feelings of
the parishioners, he has now closed".
(2) Angus Graham describes a number of gravestones of note in the churchyard of Humibe Parish Church, dating to the 17th century and later.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (2) Article in serial: Graham, A. 1960-61. 'Graveyard Monuments in East Lothian', PSAS 1960-61, p. 211-271. 239-40.