- HER number: MEL408
- Site Name: Stobshiel
- Grid Reference: 349199 663899
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Enclosed Settlement (Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Cropmarks of an enclosed settlement
- Description: (1) NT 491 639 A watching brief was undertaken during the removal and replacement of two overhead telegraph poles. These poles were both within a Scheduled Ancient Monument, close to a cropmark enclosure. No archaeological sediments or artefacts were observed.
Scottish Power plc.
R Toolis 2000
(2) A series of oblique aerial photographs taken between 1977 and 1993 show the cropmark of am enclosed prehistoric settlement. Adjacent to the enclosure there is a field boundary, which is depicted on the 2nd edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (East Lothian 1894, sheet XIX), and has been recorded as a cropmark on oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 1993), extending from NT 49198 64002 to NT 49177 63832. There are field drains to the SE of the enclosure, and pits to the SW, which have been recorded as cropmarks on an earlier occasion.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Toolis, R. 2000c. 'Skedbush Hattonhill, East Lothian (Humbie parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 1 2000, p.25. 25.
- (2) Unpublished document: Arabaolaza, I. 2011. Leaston Farm Desk based assessment. site no. 5.