- HER number: MEL4137
- Site Name: Kilduff House
- Grid Reference: 351627 677344
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Country House (18th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Mansion, 18th century
- Description: NT57NW 148.00 51627 77345
NT57NW 148.01 51681 77147 Kilduff Lodge
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
Mid-later 18th century. 2-storey, 7-bay mansion house, central block of 3 bays formerly flanked by lower recessed bay linking single bay pavilion; this form visible to E, but obscured by 19th and 20th century additions to W. White painted harl with cream ashlar margins, some renewed in concrete.
S ELEVATION: former door at centre blocked as window, flanked by 2 tall windows, 3 smaller windows at 1st floor. Recessed bay to right has lenghtened windows at ground and 1st floors, 1st floor breaking eaves in later gabled dormerhead. Broad gabled bay to outer right with French window at ground in former pseudo-Venetian window, outer lights now blocked. Tall window at 1st floor, gable head projecting above eaves over band course. Further later single storey additions recessed at outer right. Bay to left of main block has been advanced and enlarged with French door and window at ground, bipartite with stone mullion at 1st floor. Outer left bay with mid 19th century ashlar canted window at ground extending to 1st floor with cornice, breaking band course of gable. Single storey 20th century conservatory addition recessed at outer left. N ELEVATION: door to centre with heavy corniced doorpiece enclosing fanlight and flanking 4-pane lights. 2 tall windows at ground, 3 windows at 1st floor. Lower bay to right with 2 round-headed windows; small at ground, large starr window above. Blank gable end to right with band course linking eaves.
To left of centre block lower bay with tall window to each floor, breaking eaves at 1st floor in gabled dormerhead. Outer left bay with window at each floor to right of centre.
W ELEVATION: single storey additions at ground, 3 enlarged windows at 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads.
Sash and case windows, predominently 12-pane glazing pattern.
Grey slates to piended roof, shlar coped ridge and gable head stacks. Walled garden and small stable block with courtyard to W. now altered.
C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN (1978) p207.
H Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 p53.T O DUNCAN, ATHELSTANEFORD (1934) p 98.
SRO/NRAS, RHP48538, Kinloch of Gilmerton Bundle 240.
Ground floor plan and elevation showing additions and alterations, W Black, Haddington, May 1883.
J and A Rykwert, THE BROTHERS ADAM (1985) p206.
Built by John Home (1722-1808) the dramatist and minister who was given the lease of Kilduff by Sir David Kinloch in 1767. Robert Adam added wings in 1770, later rebuilt.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: