Humbie Mill Bridge / Humbie Water
- HER number: MEL424
- Site Name: Humbie Mill Bridge / Humbie Water
- Grid Reference: 346105 662999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Description: NT46SE 3 4611 6300.
(NT 4611 6300) Humbie Mill Bridge (NAT)
OS 6" map (1971)
The bridge over the Humbie Water at Humbie Mill is apparently a 17th c construction. It has one segmental arch with a span of 24'4" and the roadway is 13'10" wide.
This bridge was rebuilt in 1934 and incorporates a date stone of 1659.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 September 1965 and (SFS) 6 August 1975.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Rebuilt 1934, perhaps incorporating fabric of 1659.
Single span bridge with segmental arch. Red sandstone
rubble, bull-faced voussoirs; corbelled parapet with
droved ashlar coping. Span of circa 24', with roadway
circa 14' wide. Plaque inscribed with 2 dates for
bridge, set on roadside of S parapet.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 53.