Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Dolphingstone Doocot / Dovecot
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL103
- HER number: MEL43
- Site Name: Dolphingstone Doocot / Dovecot
- Grid Reference: 338175 672756
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Beehive dovecot, 17th century
- Description: NT37SE 14 3817 7275.
(NT 3817 7275) Dovecot (NR)
OS 1:10000 map (1973)
(1)-(3) Dovecot, Dolphingstone: This 17th century, beehive type dovecot measures 51ft in circumference at the base. It has a flattish domed roof covered with stone slabs; random rubble wall, partly harled, with two string courses. There is an entry for pigeons through an opening in the centre of the roof, and two other openings in the wall, about 2ft square. No nests remain. This dovecot is in fair repair (D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963). (See NT37SE 7 for remains of associated house).
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1914; J Whitaker 1938; C McWilliam 1978
(4) This dovecot is as described by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (SFS) 26 August 1975
(5) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 17th century. 3-stage beehive dovecot. Sandstone rubble. Pair of thumbnail-bead rat courses dividing stages; evenly arranged water-spouts at cornice level. Doorway at SE. Pair of square openings, randomly arranged, to middle stage, at SE.
(6) The Dolphingstone Doocot was photographed in 2003 by David Elder (see attached).
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Article in monograph: Bailey and Tindall, D C and M C. 1963. 'Dovecots of East Lothian', Trans Ancient Monuments Soc (New) Vol. 11 1963, p.23-52. 35.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 105-6, No.160.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Whitaker, J. 1938. 'Ancient dovecots of East Lothian: a survey', Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 3 1938, p.1-22. 10.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 401.
- (4) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (5) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (6) Photograph: Elder, D. 2003. East Lothian Doocots.