Keith Marischal House / Keith House
- HER number: MEL431
- Site Name: Keith Marischal House / Keith House
- Grid Reference: 344899 664300
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Bronze Age, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Stray find of Late Bronze Age sword
- Description: NT46SW 14 c. 449 643
A Late Bronze Age sword found near Keith House (NT 449 643) is in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS] (Accession no: DL 16).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1883; J M Coles 1962.
(Ewart Park type - Northern step 1). Sword, missing top half of hilt. Length 62.2cm, shoulder width 5.15cm, maximum blade width 4.32cm. Pitted surface, poor casting. Butt has been lopped off and flange reduced. Dark khaki patina. Rivets 2:4. NMAS DL 16.
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 4 Part 5 1988. 90, no. 470.
- Bibliographic reference: Coles, J M. 1962a. 'Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. 83.
- Bibliographic reference: PSAS. 1883. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 17 1882-3, p.5-21,69-75,136-41,277-85,300-5,327-31,375-85. 70.
- Bibliographic reference: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. 176.