Old Windy Mains / Windymains
- HER number: MEL441
- Site Name: Old Windy Mains / Windymains
- Grid Reference: 344510 664099
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Cist (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Bronze Age burials
- Description: NT46SW 5 4451 6410.
(NT 4451 6410) Bronze Age Cists found 1857 (NAT)
OS 6" map (1971)
Two cists were found in the autumn of 1857 when digging for sand on a knoll on Windymains farm. Each cist contained an inhumation accompanied by a beaker (Clarke's N3 and N/NR types, now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS], together with one of the skulls, Acc Nos EG 8, EG 9 and ET 52 respectively).
In 1898 three jet buttons were donated to the NMAS (Acc No: EQ 256). They were found, accompanying a cinerary urn, when a cistern was being dug (at NT 4451 6410) on a small wooden knoll behind Old Windy Mains. At the same time, a cist containing an inhumation accompanied by fragments of an ornamented urn, apparently some 6 ins in height, was found.
R Forman 1862; D L Clarke 1970; J Anderson 1899; NMAS 1892
Fir Knowe, where the above-mentioned finds were made, is described in 1853 as 'a small knoll planted with trees. It has the appearance of an ancient camp, but no-one in the locality can give any information regarding it.'
Name Book 1853
No further information. Fir Knowe is natural.
Visited by OS (BS) 29 July 1975.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: PSAS. 1899. Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 33 1898-9, p.6-12,70-9,141-46,195-7,273-9,404-13. 273.
- Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. Vol.2, 516, nos 1633-4.
- Bibliographic reference: Anderson, J. 1899b. 'Notes on three buttons of jet or cannel-coal found in a cist at Old Windymains, Keith Marischal, East Lothian', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 33 1898-9, p.68-9. 68-9.
- Bibliographic reference: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 176, 194.
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.54, 45.
- Bibliographic reference: Forman, R. 1862. 'Account of a recent discovery of stone cists, containing urns and human bones, in the farm of Windymains, Humbie, Haddingtonshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 3 1857-60, p.50-2. 50-1.