Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Whittingehame House, South Lodge / Mountlehoy Lodge
- HER number: MEL1711
- HER number: MEL4453
- Site Name: Whittingehame House, South Lodge / Mountlehoy Lodge
- Grid Reference: 360289 672484
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Gate lodge, 1844
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: William Burn, 1844. Single storey and attic, asymmetrical
lodge. Squared and snecked, stugged red sandstone,
with droved ashlar dressings and base course; chamfered
reveals. Overhanging timber bracketted eaves.
W ELEVATION: advanced bay off-centre to right with
canted, stone roofed window at ground and timber
mullioned bipartite above; doorway set in re-entrant angle
to left; boarded door and decorative hinges. Stone
mullioned tripartite to outer left. Recessed bay to outer
right with stone seat set in blind recess.
S ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to left with single floor
window and small attic window. Round-arched timber
dovecot suspended between windows. Window in recessed
bay to right. Modern addition and harled earlier addition
at rear. Small-pane and lying-pane glazing patterns to
sash and case windows. Large grey slates, largest to S
gable. Ashlar coped stacks with original cans retained.
(2) Labelled as 'Mountlehoy Lodge' on 1st and 2nd edition OS (1854 and 1895). 'South Lodge' was located further to the east, now Clint House MEL3167.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: