Old Craighall, Old Craighall Road, Monkton House, Monkton Gardens / Monkton Gardens And Sundial
- HER number: MEL234
- HER number: MEL8837
- HER number: MEL4593
- Site Name: Old Craighall, Old Craighall Road, Monkton House, Monkton Gardens / Monkton Gardens And Sundial
- Grid Reference: 333400 670411
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Sundial (Post Medieval)
- House (Post Medieval)
- Summary: House, 17th century with later additions
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 17th century, with 18th century additions and alterations. Rectangular plan, 2-storey building, apparently of 3 dates. Currently residential; original purpose probably as gardeners' house for Monkton House gardens. Rubble sandstone with harl pointing; chamfered arrises to original openings.
N end bay (original pavilion) with moulded 1st floor lintel course above larger 1st floor windows to E and W, and former doorway at head for former forestair at N end (doorway blocked and stair now removed); smaller ground floor windows to E (with relieving arch) and to W; modern porch to E and
modern window inserted to N. Grey slates to piend roof. Wallhead stack to E, raised in brick.
Centre bays irregular, with only 1st floor window to W, under eaves; small window above further modern porch to W, and larger windows to both floors flanking; former end wall evidenced by skews and truncated stack in red pantile roof. S bay with 1st floor window under eaves to W; former door blocked as window to W and blinded 1st floor window above. Blocked 1st floor window to S end elevation. Red pantiled peind roof.
Small-pane and plate glass glazing patterns to sash and case windows.
INTERIOR: 1st floor room of original pavilion with simple 17th century panelling, heavily painted, and with painted ceiling (revealed 1995) depicting sunburst and 4 seasons.
SUNDIAL: 17th century cubical stone dial on carved corbel bearing sun-face, foliaceous ornament and grotesque mask. Site on SW angle of house at 1st floor cill level.
GARDEN WALLS: rubble walls with rubble coping. Stone, piend roofed garden sheds to S.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.