Dunbar, Old Harbour, Fishermens' Monument / Barometer Monument
- HER number: MEL4636
- Site Name: Dunbar, Old Harbour, Fishermens' Monument / Barometer Monument
- Grid Reference: 368116 679137
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Commemorative Monument (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Monument dated 1856
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Dated 1856. Sited on S corner of inner basin. Ashlar,
rendered and painted block, circa 15 feet high, 9 feet 7
inches wide on 1ft 10 inch pedestal. Channelled sides and
Fisherman leaving family relief, painted plaster, set in
recess, dated 1861, by A Handyside Ritchie. Niche below
intended for mercury barometer in wooden case, by Alexander
Adie and Son, missing. Festoon of shell-work and seaweed
about dedication inscription.
Architect: A Handyside Ritchie - 1856.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
(2) Constructed of ashlar, this rendered and painted block stands 15 feet high on a pedestal. Dated 1856. Painted plaster relief set in recess dated 1861, with a niche below for mercury barometer in a wooden case, which is now missing. The monument on the south side of the harbour was badly weathered and the inscription illegible.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.
(3) "A monument with a plaster relief and a niche to hold a barometer is sited on the harbour front. The inscription is worn from the weather and is illegible. "
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (2) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 221.
- (3) Unpublished document: Moore, H and Wilson, G. 2006. Report on Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: East Lothian and Scottish Borders. site no. 131.