Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Dunbar, 34 High Street / New Inn, Eventide Home
- HER number: MEL4713
- Site Name: Dunbar, 34 High Street / New Inn, Eventide Home
- Grid Reference: 367919 678786
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Inn, built 1788-91, used as barracks in 19th century and WWI
- Description: NT67NE 355 c. 679 788
34 High Street, Dunbar has recently been used as a retirement home. It was formerly the New Inn. Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), May 2002.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Alexander Ponton, 1788-91. 3-storey, L-plan house with
basement to rear wing. Squared and coursed sandstone front;
random rubble rear and sides. Droved plain ashlar margins;
ashlar band course above basement. Eaves cornice. Rendered S
gable. Slate roofs and gable head stacks. 12-pane glazing
pattern, smaller at 3rd floor.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Early 19th century
Roman Doric porch projecting onto High Street with dentil
cornice. Panelled door and plate glass fanlight. Segmental
arch bridging N side coach entrance.
W WING: 4-bay across 3 N bays of High Street block. Door in
1st return bay. W end gable with 2 windows to S. N elevation
by passage with random window arrangement.
INTERIOR: some original chimneypieces survive, and some
Presently a retirement home. Commissioned by Earl of Lauderdale allededly as competition to the St George Hotel. Called the 'New Inn' then: still referred to as such today. Used as barracks in 19th century. 3 chimneypiece designs by Robert Adam never realised.
World War One Audit of Surviving Remains:
Dunbar, New Inn Cavalry Barracks is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 2nd Edition map (Haddingtonshire, sheet VII.9, 1907). The barracks was clearly still in existence in 1929, when a plan was prepared (SRO 'Map, castle Park Barracks and New Inn Barracks. Skeleton record Plan B18/20/32).
It is not known what the building was used for in 1914. The main building, formerly, The New Inn, still stands and the War Office boundary stones are clearly visible.
Modern satellite photography suggests that parts of the western portion of the structure may survive.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: