For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL8803
- HER number: MEL476
- Site Name: Ballencrieff Granary
- Grid Reference: 348560 678110
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Granary, 16th century
- Description: NT47NE 4 4856 7811.
Ballencrieff Granary, 250 yds SSW of Ballencrieff House (NT47NE 5) is a 16th century L-plan building. There is no internal stair, and the high corbelled platform on the S side in the angle strengthens the traditional idea of its purpose; access to the upper levels would have been by ladder, and there could have been a winch on the platform. Though the RCAHMS assert that this granary was connected with St Cuthbert's Hospital (NT47NE 35), this cannot be as the hospital had ceased to function long before this building was erected.
C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913; D E Easson 1958
NT 4856 7811. Much of Ballencrieff Granary is hidden by adjacent modern farm structures.
Visited by OS (RDL) 24 October 1962 and (BS) 14 October 1975.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 16th century, with later alterations. 2-storey, L-plan former house and granary. Random rubble with freestone dressings. Irregular openings, several now built up; doorways at 1st floor formerly with forestair and with corbel course above indicating position of former lean-to, large modern sliding doors inserted at ground of NE gable. No internal communications between ground and 1st floor; access by ladder. Red pantiles, coped askews; crowstepped to E with brick stack. 6 beak skewputts, 3 with shields bearing arms.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Easson, D E. 1958. 'The Medieval hospitals of East Lothian', Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 7 1958, p.37-43. 37-8.
- Bibliographic reference: Roy and Sproat, M and D. 2005a. 'Ballencrieff Steading (Aberlady parish), evaluation; standing building recording', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.6, 2005. 50.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 5, No.6.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 90.