Prestonpans, West Churchyard / West Kirkyard, Preston Chapel
- HER number: MEL48
- Site Name: Prestonpans, West Churchyard / West Kirkyard, Preston Chapel
- Grid Reference: 338432 674342
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Graveyard, medieval to 20th century, and probable site of medieval chapel
- Description: NT37SE 19 3845 7433.
(1) (NT 3845 7433) In 1320 the manorial Chapel of Preston was placed under the administration of the Abbot of Newbattle. The ruins of this existed at the beginning of the 17th c in the SE corner of what is now called the West Kirkyard. It was used until its destruction in 1544. No attempt was made to rebuild it and a new church was built in 1595. (See NT37SE 18).
R W Fraser 1857
(2) Tradition has long associated a Church with the West Churchyard (at Preston). No trace, however, of any building is discernible there.
J Hislop 1892
(3) No further information.
Visited by OS (RD) 4 January 1972
(4) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Early 19th century walled enclosure, round graveyard of earlier date. Tall walls in random sandstone rubble, N wall with ashlar cope and piers to corners and central gateway, square section with plinth, projecting cope and plain cap. Decorative gates in cast- (upper section) and wrought-iron.
Other walls with rubble cope, S and E incorporating several good carved stones, eroding, of 17th and 18th century. 2 large 19th century stones remain in centre of graveyard. Other stones, mostly of 19th and early 20th century, gathered prone in NW corner of graveyard.
(5) Graham describes a number of 17th century grave monuments in the West Kirkyard, many of which are set in the southern and western boundary walls.
(6) This was the site of a 14th century chapel. An enclosure wall (19th century) incorporates 17th and 18th century tombstones. It was not visited during the survey.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996..
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Fraser, R W. 1857. The kirk and the manse. 214-17.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Hislop, J F. 1892. 'Notes on a heraldic panel found in the parish church of Prestonpans in November 1891', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 26 1891-2, p.241-50. 241-50.
- (3) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (5) Article in serial: Graham, A. 1960-61. 'Graveyard Monuments in East Lothian', PSAS 1960-61, p. 211-271. 251-3.
- (6) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 212.