Prestonpans, Preston Grange / Prestongrange House, Royal Musselburgh Golf Club
- HER number: MEL49
- Site Name: Prestonpans, Preston Grange / Prestongrange House, Royal Musselburgh Golf Club
- Grid Reference: 337877 673708
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Country House (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Country house, 16th century and later additions
- Description: NT37SE 2.00 3788 7370.
(NT 3788 7370) Preston Grange (NAT) (club house)
OS 1:10000 map (1973)
Prestongrange (now the club house of the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club) is a long baronial house, its entrance front - facing N - virtually all by W H Playfair. The W half of the S front is earlier. The earliest datable part is its late 16th century centre, extended to the E in the 17th century. This house was recast internally about 1750. The first stage of Playfair's work, begun in 1830, consists of a three-storeyed block to the S, with an octagonal entrance tower, and some development to the E end. In 1850 he added a square tower to the E. During internal alterations in 1962, a large painted ceiling dated 1581 was discovered; the greater part of it has now been placed in Merchiston Tower (NT27SW 13).
C McWilliam 1978; G Murray, M R Apted and I Hodkinson 1966
This building has no external appearance of antiquity.
Visited by OS (SFS) 26 August 1975
The house and policies are visible on a vertical air photograph (OS 89/015/28, flown 1989).
Information from RCAHMS
NT37SE 2.00 NT 3788 7370
NT37SE 2.01 NT 3808 7385 Boundary walls
NT37SE 2.02 NT 38064 73879 East Lodge
NT37SE 2.03 NT 3771 7392 North Lodge
NT37SE 2.04 NT 37946 73413 South Lodge
Painted ceiling removed to Napier Technical College, Edinburgh (formerly Merchiston Castle)
W. H. Playfair, 1830 - Scottish Baronial - and 1850
EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
1830 - 70 sheets
Lodge,1837 - 27 sheets
Stable Offices, 1845 - 40 sheets
additions, 1850 - 88 sheets
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
16th century core, largely remodelled by W H Playfair, 1830-50, with later additions. Baronial mansion. Stugged, squared and snecked yellow sandstone and rubble, with polished ashlar dressings. Iron finials to towers. Moulded eaves course.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 13-bay, asymmetrical. 6-bay block advanced to left; central 3 bays, near regular-fenestrated, with 4-panel timber door to left at ground, barred single and bipartite windows to right, 3 windows regularly spaced at 1st floor, 3 near-regular gabletted windows breaking eaves, with shields and decorative finials; angle tower to outer left, corbelled out at 2nd floor, irregularly fenestrated, with conical roof; penultimate bay from right canted forming octagonal tower with symmetrical fenestration, comprising studded, vertically-boarded timber door at ground, surmounted by tooled panel reading 'MDCCCXXX', flanked by blank cartouches, surmounted in turn by decorative tooled armorial panel, comprising shield divided per cross, with mantling, ribbon and badge, scroll reading 'Nothing Hazard Nothing Have'; bay to outer right forming square tower, single window to 1st and 2nd floors and small window at attic, deeply moulded eaves cornice, ogee roof, single windows to ground and 2nd floors of right return, stair swept up to left, 2-bay gabled recess to right, bipartite window to 1st floor, 2 single windows to 2nd floor; gable stepped back. Recessed gabled bay recessed to 6 bay from left; single window centred to 1st and 2nd floors, right return blank. 3 bay block stepped back to right; boarded timber door centred at ground, flanked by single windows; tripartite window centred at 1st floor, flanked by windows to left and right; 2 gabled windows breaking waves at 2nd floor, with thistle and fleur-de-lis finials. 4 bay block advanced to outer right, comprising advanced crowstepped gabled bay to centre, with single windows centred at ground and 1st floor, left return blank, single-storey addition at ground to right return, window in crowstepped gabled bay to left, doorway to right, single window to 2nd floor; single windows at 1st, 2nd and attic floors to left, rising to form octagonal tower, with crenellated parapet; ground floor of penultimate bay from right obscured by addition (see above), regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors; bay to outer right forming 5-stage square plan tower, window at ground, modern addition adjoining to right (see below), regular fenestration to right return, deeply moulded eaves cornice, ogee roof. Flat-roofed modern addition adjoining to outer right.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay, asymmetrical with crenellated parapet; ground floor obscured by flat-roofed modern addition (see above). Square-plan tower to outer left (see above). Irregular fenestration to all floors. Window in canted bay to re-entrant angle to left at 2nd floor.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 12-bay, comprising rounded candle snuffer roofed stair tower advanced in 5th bay from right with windows at principal and 1st floors; corbelled infill to right return at 2nd floor. T-plan staircase with ashlar steps and entrance platt oversailing basement in 5th bay from left, to roll-moulded architraved doorpiece with 2-leaf glazed timber door, surmounted by cornice and tooled ashlar decorative strapwork panel incorporating central shield; balusters of staircase returned and continued as balustrade to right, with decorative stone balusters, occasional panelled dies, saddleback cope. 3-light rectangular window advanced in 4th bay from right. 5-light canted bay through all floors in 3rd bay from left, breaking eaves. Near regular fenestration to remaining bays at 1st floor. Gabletted windows breaking eaves to left of stair tower at 2nd floor; regular fenestration to right; 3 irregularly-spaced gabletted dormers with decorative finials. Angle tower corbelled out at 1st floor, to outer right; irregularly fenestrated, conical roof. 3-bay castellated block advanced to outer left, gabletted bay with crowstepped gable advanced and rising to 2nd floor, to left, with windows centred at 1st and 2nd floor, flat-roofed addition to ground. Irregularly fenestrated at basement.
E ELEVATION: 4-bay, asymmetrical; predominantly blank gable advanced to outer left, with flat-roofed single storey entrance block at ground, with door to N, boundary wall adjoining to right, (see below). Square-plan tower adjoining to right, deeply canted at ground floor angles, window to ground floor, window to 2nd floor of right return, pyramidal roof; single bay recess to right of right return, regular fenestration at all floors; gabletted penultimate bay from right, bipartite windows to ground and 1st floor, single window set in gablehead; gabled bay stepped forward to outer right, single windows to left at ground and 2nd floors, remainder blank; tower to outer right angle (see above).
Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; metal ridges. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ridge and gablehead stacks; corniced, with circular cans. Coped skews.
INTERIOR: fine entrance hall, restored, 1999; timber panelling below dado, stone staircase, decorative plaster mouldings to ceiling, with some tapestry hooks still evident above panels. Some evidence of working panelled shutters.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped, stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, L-plan boundary wall adjoining building to E elevation (see above) incorporating doorway with wall-mounted decorative pediment including coat-of-arms with shield divided per pale sinister half per fess on foliate cartouche, surmounted by helmet with mantling.
J Small, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883); C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), pp394-5; H Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1995), p767; M Glendinning, R MacInnes, A MacKechnie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), pp37, 589.
B Group with Prestongrange House Boundary Walls, Prestongrange House East Lodge, Prestongrange House North Lodge and Prestongrange House South Lodge (see separate listings). In use as the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club club house. Prestongrange House is a recasting and enlargement of an earlier structure, the core of which may be a 15th century tower. The tempera ceiling painting discovered in 1962 and removed to Napier College, Edinburgh, bears the date 1581. The west tower is similar in style to Playfair's work at George Heriot's School, Edinburgh, and Floors Castle, Borders.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Murray, Apted and Hodkinson, G, M R and I. 1966. , Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 10 1966, p.92-131.
- Bibliographic reference: Small, J. 1883a. The castles and mansions of the Lothians.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 394-5.