Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL5
- Site Name: Elphinstone Tower
- Grid Reference: 339310 669970
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Cropmark of plantation bank
- Description: NT36NE 31 39309 69964.
(1) NT 393 699. Enclosure (possible), Elphinstone Tower: visible on aerial photographs.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
This circular enclosure, which has been recorded as cropmarks on oblique aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 1977, 198 2, 1995), is probably a plantation bank.
Information from RCAHMS (DCC) 14 February 2007
(2) The first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps (1855 and 1894) show that this cropmark corresponds with a semi-circular section of a field boundary, which is otherwise straight. It is likely that this is the remnant of a plantation bank around a circular plantation, which had been removed by the 19th century.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (2) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1855. Haddingtonshire. 1:10560.