Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Cockenzie And Port Seton, 44 High Street, Old Parish Church
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL513
- Site Name: Cockenzie And Port Seton, 44 High Street, Old Parish Church
- Grid Reference: 340075 675765
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Church, 1838
- Description: NT47NW 26 4007 7575
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 1838. Simple gabled church in 2-bay rectangle, with lean-to vestibule at E gable and vestry in 20th century lean-to outshot to N. Cream and red sandstone rubble, dressings droved and chamfered but eroding, with raised margins, mostly patched or replaced in artificial stone. Relieving arches and base course.
S ELEVATION: 2 tall bipartite windows with hoodmoulds. 2-leaf main door with moulded surround offset to right (E), under low screen wall with consoled end. Ashlar bird.
N ELEVATION: 2 tall bipartite windows with hoodmoulds, leftmost foreshortened. Modern lean-to extensions with door and windows along most of lower level.
W ELEVATION: 2 tall bipartite windows, symmetrical below blind oculus in gablehead.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-bay lean-to vestibule at ground, outer bays advanced with single window, 2 windows to recessed bays. Tripartite windows with hood moulding above, below blind oculus and small arched bellcote with copper dome and weathervane.
Windows to vestibule leaded in diamond panes, tall windows borderglazed, stained glass to W elevation. Roof in grey Welsh (?) slate, ridged skews with consoled skewputts.
INTERIOR: typically Presbyterian. Simple, with double aisle, central pulpit behind communion table, organ in NW corner. Subdued, well-maintained decor.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Listed for its retrograde and austere design and bellcote. Most of the original congregation "came out" in the 1843 Disruption, leaving to form the Free Church (see separate listing for Chalmers Memorial Church for subsequent history). Of the fittings, the pulpit was relocated from Glasgow (Professor John Gossip's), the organ from Dundee in 1988 (Rattray St Baptist Church), and one stained glass window from Musselburgh High Church in 1991. The other stained glass window is the original church War Memorial.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: