Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Gladsmuir, Old Parish Church And Churchyard
- HER number: MEL554
- HER number: MEL535
- Site Name: Gladsmuir, Old Parish Church And Churchyard
- Grid Reference: 345785 673327
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of church, built in 1695
- Description: NT47SE 1 45785 73327
See also NT47SE 2.
(NT 4579 7332) Church (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1969)
(1) (2) This church, now roofless, was built in 1695 (G Hay 1957) as a successor to that described on NT47SE 2. It stands in a graveyard, N of its successor, the present parish church. On plan it is oblong, measuring 71' x 25 3/4' with an aisle 24' broad projecting 24' from the N wall.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
(3) This church now forms part of the graveyard. There is a lintel on its S side, dated 1695, and a sundial on the SW corner dated 1700.
Visited by OS (BS) 15 October 1975
(4) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 1695. Now ruinous, sited to N of 1838 church. Oblong plan; E=W axis, transeptal aisle to N. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Doorways to S and E return of N aisle. Aisle opens into church with semi-circular arch with moulded impost stones. Rectangular windows with arched embrasures to interior; checks and hinge pins for outside shutters; bipartite to N gable, windows to E and W gables. Joist hole indicate former galleries at E and W ends. Crowstepped gables, carved rose finial to E grand bird-cage bellcote to W with round-arched openings and ogee roof with finial. Roofless. Early 19th century, classically detailed burial enclosures abutting now ruinous church walls to N; rubble with ashlar dressings, some rusticated quoins. 18th century table monument to N aisle with carved relief, flanked by wallmonument to Robert Hogg (d1768) with pilasters and memento mori (mortuary trophies). Relief of James Ainslie (d1876). 2-faced mass clock to SW angle dated 1700. GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble coped rubble retaining walls - with lean-to toolshed.
(5) Angus Graham describes one gravestone that is older than 1707.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 37, No.64.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Hay, G. 1957a. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 254.
- (3) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (5) Article in serial: Graham, A. 1960-61. 'Graveyard Monuments in East Lothian', PSAS 1960-61, p. 211-271. 235.