Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Seton / Cockenzie
- HER number: MEL581
- Site Name: Seton / Cockenzie
- Grid Reference: 341299 674899
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of medieval village
- Description: NT47SW 27 413 749.
Seton farmhouse and steading (now Seton East: NT 413 749) are built on the ruins of the old village of Seton, mentioned in 1711. Its population was 86 in 1791, and its inhabitants were evicted on or shortly after that date, when the Seton estate become the property of a Mr Mackenzie.
P M'Neill 1883
The villa of Seton was granted to Sir Alexander Seton as a free burgh by Robert I in 1321.
G S Pryde 1965.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: M'Neill, P. 1883. Tranent and its surroundings. 191-4.
- Bibliographic reference: Pryde, G S. 1965. The burghs of Scotland: a critical list. 45, no. 118.