- HER number: MEL606
- HER number: MEL607
- Site Name: Luffness House
- Grid Reference: 347479 680439
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Three stone cists
- Description: NT48SE 1.1 4748 8044.
(1) (NT 4748 8044) Two stone slabs 3ft 8 ins long, 1ft 9 ins broad and 5 ins thick lie in the kitchen garden of Luffness House. They are presumed to be covers of cists, of which three were found beneath the floor of the entrance hall of the House.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
(2) No information was obtained regarding the stone slabs or cist covers mentioned by the RCAHMS and their location was not established.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 21 November 1962
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (SFS) 13 August 1975
(3) Three cists were reported to have been found beneath the entrance hall of the house. The stone slab covers were still preserved in 1913.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 3, No.3.
- (2) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (3) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife.