Humbie, The Children's Village, Drinking Fountain
- HER number: MEL6212
- Site Name: Humbie, The Children's Village, Drinking Fountain
- Grid Reference: 346154 662497
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Drinking Fountain (20th Century, Modern)
- Commemorative Monument (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Memorial drinking fountain, c. 1900
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1400/5/-
Historic Scotland Listed BuildingDescription:
Circa 1900. memorial drinking fountain comprised of a circa 10' high gabled shelter, harled with red-tiled skews; round-arched panel at centre inscribed with dedication and with gadrooned and guilloched stone
basin, drinking spout removed, and bronze medallion plaque at top, with girl's profile. Blank rear.
C McWilliam, Buildings of Scotland, Lothian (1978) p259.
Sited by 4 Shillinghill. Dedicated to Marjory Charlotte Athanass Stewart, born 10th April 1873, died 26th November 1898.
Part of the former Humbie Children's Village built in 1906 in Arts and Crafts style. The village was built to provide holiday accommodation for children with disabilities and was made up of separate cottages with a hall and school. It became a residential care facility in the late 20th century before closing in the 1990's and being redeveloped into private housing in 2008.
List description updated 2009.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: