13 Shillinghill, Formerly The School, Humbie Children's Village
- HER number: MEL6218
- Site Name: 13 Shillinghill, Formerly The School, Humbie Children's Village
- Grid Reference: 346210 662389
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- School (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Former school, 1903
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1400/11/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
J H Cooper, 1903. Voyseyesque single storey, rectangular plan school. Harled with red tile roof. 4-bay N elevation with lower eaves to piend roofed E end, sweeping over lean-to outbuilding and simple doorway.
Remaining bays with tall bipartite at centre, breaking eaves with coped wallhead, and flanked by buttresses; single windows under overhanging eaves to each side.
W gable elevation with timber mullioned bipartite at ground and 3 small, square windows above, large clock at gablehead. Battered stack to right, currently truncated and serving as buttress. S elevation with timber craft room advanced from main block and under catslide roof.
Modern addition to E end.
C McWilliam, Buildings of Scotland, Lothian (1978), p259.
Funded by the St George's School Holiday Home Association, thus providing the first open-air residential school in Scotland.
Part of the former Humbie Children's Village built in 1906 in Arts and Crafts style. The village was built to provide holiday accommodation for children with disabilities and was made up of separate cottages with a hall and school. It became a residential care facility in the later 20th century before closing in the 1990s and being redeveloped into private housing in 2008.
List description updated 2009.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: