Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Macmerry Business Park
- HER number: MEL8772
- HER number: MEL6363
- Site Name: Macmerry Business Park
- Grid Reference: 344000 672899
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Traces of post-medieval ridge and furrow, several undated linear features, and structures related to the WWI Penston Airfield.
- Description: NT47SW 127 440 729
(1) NT 440 729 An archaeological evaluation was undertaken in April 2002 of an area of land E of Macmerry. The site has seen discontinuous occupation since the late 19th century and lies at the edge of the Penston (later Macmerry) Airfield, constructed during WW1. The work comprised a walkover survey and trial trenching.
A total of 32 trial trenches covering an area of 2773m? were excavated. Several linear features were identified. These included traces of post-medieval rig and furrow and a drainage ditch. Three structures relating to the airfield were identified: a Stanton air raid shelter, the airfield perimeter road and a concrete surface.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
East Lothian Land Ltd.
R Conolly (Headland Archaeology) 2002
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/03/2003
(2) DSR lodged with ELCAS.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Conolly, R. 2002. 'Macmerry Business Park, Macmerry, East Lothian (Gladsmuir parish), evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 3 2002, p.36. 36.
- (2) Unpublished document: Conolly, R. 2002. Macmerry Business Park, East Lothian: An Archaeological Evaluation.