Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
The Salt Works, High Street, Cockenzie
- HER number: MEL8770
- HER number: MEL8771
- HER number: MEL6507
- Site Name: The Salt Works, High Street, Cockenzie
- Grid Reference: 339900 675699
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Post-medieval saltworks
- Description: NT37NE 10 399 757
(1) NT 399 757 An evaluation involving a desk-based assessment, trial trenching and a historic building survey was undertaken in January 2002 at the Harbour Site, High Street, Cockenzie. Up to 2.5m of surfaces and levelling likely to date to the 18th or 19th century were found to overlie deposits which are probably connected with the post-medieval salt works known to have stood on the site. The standing salt store [NT37NE 8] in the S of the site probably dates from this period. The site has seen considerable development in the modern period and many wall foundations consistent with buildings mapped in the 19th and 20th centuries were recorded. Several foundations did not appear to have been mapped and these may relate to post-medieval structures. The salt store does not contain many original features.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Smith Architects for Hart Builders (Edinburgh) Ltd
J Millar 2002
NMRS REPORT DATE: 09/06/2003
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Millar, J. 2002. 'High Street, Cockenzie, East Lothian (Tranent parish), evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 3 2002, p.43. 43.