Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Gullane, Saltcoats Road, Saltcoats Castle
- HER number: MEL659
- Site Name: Gullane, Saltcoats Road, Saltcoats Castle
- Grid Reference: 348540 681876
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of late 16th century tower house, courtyard, and subsidiary buildings
- Description: NT48SE 7 48541 81877.
(NT 48541 81877) Saltcoats Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1968)
The late 16th c Saltcoats Castle consists of a main structure 72' by 23 1/2' which forms the S side of a courtyard with two projecting angle towers at the W end. The N wall and inner partitions of the main building are absent. Only the ground floor of some subsidiary buildings at the NE corner remain. The enclosing walls exist but are much repaired. The castle was still inhabited about 1790 but most of the building was removed for agricultural improvements about 1823-4.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
Saltcoats Castle is generally as described except that the main block, which is virtually intact, forms the W side of the courtyard.
Visited by OS (RDL) 21 November 1962 and (SFS) 11 July 1975
The armorial stone of the builder, Patrick Levingtoun of Saltcoats, now mounted over the front door of a nearby cottage, probably came from over the door of the castle, and the date must be 1592 (the second digit crudely recut as a 3).
C McWilliam 1978
NT48SE 7 48541 81877
NT48SE 30 48501 81917 Dovecot
NT48SE 52 48503 81890 Market Garden house
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Late 16th century ruin of tower house and courtyard with
subsidiary building. Random rubble with squared rubble
dressings. Tower remains set at SE of courtyard with W
end rising 5 storeys. Round corner turrets at ground,
corbelled to square above, with segmental arch bridging
at 5th stage. Irregular openings to E elevation with
corbelled angle turret to SE angle. Large segmental
window opening at centre. Gargoyle spouts above
segmental bridging arch at W.
VAULTED CHAMBER: sited in NE corner of courtyard,
originally part of N range. Wide fireplace at E.
Probably castle kitchen.
Scheduled monument. An important historical site, though not one of the most outstanding, as much of its fabric has been plundered, for example, dated panel moved to doorway of Market Garden House (see below), on Castle boundary. Castle belonged to Levingtoun family. Ruinous lectern dovecot lies to N, also listed and scheduled.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 21-3, No.28.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 422-3.
- Bibliographic reference: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. 183, Vol.IV..