- HER number: MEL6882
- HER number: MEL6884
- HER number: MEL6946
- HER number: MEL6947
- HER number: MEL6883
- Site Name: Macmerry Airfield
- Grid Reference: 344449 672400
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Building (20th Century, Modern)
- Description: NT47SW 46.03 4445 7240
A group of brick built buildings which once comprised the RAF Site No.2 (Communal) survive to the E of the public road at Penston. Some of this group are without roofing, whilst others are being used for agricutural purposes.
The buildings were built during 1942 as part of an expansion programme to allow greater usage of the airfield at that time. Part of the area taken was formerly used as a First World War landing ground. The camp is is visible on wartime vertical air photographs (RAF NLA 68, 3063-3064, flown 27 August 1943).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2003
A visit to the accommmodation and recreation site noted a small Guard House at NT 44408 72317.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), March 2004
NMRS REPORT DATE: 15/03/2004
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: