- HER number: MEL6882
- HER number: MEL6883
- HER number: MEL6946
- HER number: MEL6947
- HER number: MEL6884
- Site Name: Macmerry Airfield
- Grid Reference: 344686 672535
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Cinema (20th Century, Modern)
- Chapel (20th Century, Modern)
- Gymnasium (sports) (20th Century, Modern)
- Description: NT47SW 46.04 44687 72535
What may have been the cinema for the accommodation camp at Penston still stands to the NE of the surviving buildings of the camp (NT47SW 46.03). The building stands immediately E of the area formerly occupied by the WAAF accommodation camp, which has since been demolished. The camps are is visible on wartime vertical air photographs (RAF NLA 68, 3063-3064, flown 27 August 1943).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2003
Following a site visit this brick and concrete building has been confirmed as the station gymnasium and cinema. It is built to a standard design for recreation purposes and includes, at the NW end, an extension for use as a church/chapel.
The projection room with entrance, which was a later modification to the original desgn, is at the SE end and the dressing rooms are arranged along the NE side of the building.
It is presently in use for the storage of farm machinery and straw bales.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), March 2004
NMRS REPORT DATE: 15/03/2004
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Francis, P. 1996. British military airfield architecture: from airships to the jet age, . 199-201.