- HER number: MEL7001
- Site Name: Eweford West
- Grid Reference: 366392 677350
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Cremation Cemetery (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Cairn (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Settlement (Late Prehistoric, Neolithic, Prehistoric)
- Findspot (Early Prehistoric, Mesolithic, Prehistoric)
- Cist (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Neolithic pits and structures, Bronze Age cremation burials and cairn, Mesolithic microliths, Iron Age cist
- Description: NT67NE 474 6637 7737
(1) NMRS REPORT DATE: 27/04/2004
(2) Evaluation undertaken by GUARD in 2001 as part of the A1 Upgrade Project established that a cairn containing Bronze Age burial urns was present. Subsequent excavation revealed three broad phases of activity and reuse of the site. Area 5:
1. Features dating to the earlier Neolithic include an area on a natural mound defined by a constructional slot 14m long, and a stone wall 10m long. This area contained two possible sub-rectangular structures and a pit.
2. The next phase of activity involved the area adjacent to the mound being used for activities related to the deposition of Grooved Ware and Beaker pottery during the later Neolithic.
3. During the Bronze Age, the site was used as a cemetery, with 21 burials, the majority being cremation deposits in pits. In some cases urns had been placed with cremation deposits. A bronze tanged blade and a polished stone axe hammer accompanied cremation deposits. The burials were ultimately sealed beneath cairn material that appears to have formed part of a penannular ring cairn. Also of note was the recovery of a bronze halberd from the cairn material.
(3) A cist was inserted into the mound during the Iron Age, and contained the cremated remains of more than one individual. A radiocarbon date of 760 - 390 BC was obtained from the bone.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: MacGregor and Shearer, G and I. 2002. 'Eweford, East Lothian (Dunbar parish), Neolithic alignments and mortuary structures', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 3 2002, p.35. 35.
- (2) Unpublished document: MacGregor, G and Shearer, I. 2002. Eweford, East Lothian.
- (3) Monograph: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2008. The Lands of Ancient Lothian: Interpreting the Archaeology of the A1. p. 122.