Saxon: Skateraw, Firth Of Forth
- HER number: MEL7038
- Site Name: Saxon: Skateraw, Firth Of Forth
- Grid Reference: 373699 675599
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Marine Casualty (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Loss of schooner, 1881
- Description: NT77NW 8026 c. 737 756
N55 58.4 W2 25.3
NLO: Skateraw Harbour [name: NT 737 756].
14 October 1881, SAXON, 28 yrs old, of Montrose, wooden schooner, 145 tons, 5 crew, Master W. Watt, Owner A. Watt, Montrose, departed Montrose for Sunderland, in ballast, wind NE11, stranded, total loss, near Skateraw [Skate Raw], Haddington.
Source: PP Abstracts Returns of Wrecks and Casualties on Coasts of the UK 1881-82 (1883 [C.3487] LXIII.135).
Montrose, Nov. 2, SAXON schooner, Watt, which went ashore at Skaterawe [Skate Raw] during the gale of Oct. 14, was bound hence to Sunderland, in ballast.
Source: Shipping Intelligence, LL, No. 21,067, London, Friday November 4 1881.
Dunbar, Oct. 15, 1.10 p.m., SAXON schooner, Watt, is on shore at Skaterawe: [Record received incomplete].
NMRS, MS/829/69 (no. 3195).
(Classified as wooden schooner, in ballast; date of loss cited as 14 October 1881). This vessel stranded near Skateraw. Capt. Watt.
I G Whittaker 1998.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 01/07/2004
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. 1998. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters. 236.
- Unpublished document: Moore, H and Wilson, G. 2006. Report on Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: East Lothian and Scottish Borders. site no. 151.