Eaglescairnie House / Eaglescairnie House With Walled Garden, Hot-house And Bridge
- HER number: MEL716
- Site Name: Eaglescairnie House / Eaglescairnie House With Walled Garden, Hot-house And Bridge
- Grid Reference: 351881 669466
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Country House
- Walled Garden (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Mansion house, 18th century and later, possibly incorporating 16th century house
- Description: NT56NW 15 51882 69467.
NT56NW 47 51818 69394 Stables
NT56NW 48 51038 69187 Lodge
NT56NW 104 51813 69140 Home Farm
(NT 51882 69467) Eaglescairnie (NAT)
OS 6" map (1970)
(1) This house is mainly modern, but its northern portion dates from the late 17th or early 18th c. This part is L-shaped on plan, and within the re-entrant angle is a stair tower. An armorial panel, dated 1595, now inserted above the coach house door, has presumably come from an earlier house on the site.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1923
(2) The early portion of this building is indistinguishable from the modern, the whole having been whitewashed. The armorial panel is at NT 5182 6939.
Visited by OS (BS) 13 July 1975
(3) Eaglescairnie was built about 1760, with an E extension dating to about 1830. The RCAHMS suggestion of a 17th century date for the stair-turret at the back is rather dubious as it contains a distinctively 18th century stair. Detection is difficult as the building was burned out in the 20th century, and has since been restored.
C McWilliam 1978
(4) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Substantial mansion house with complex building history. Possible evolution is as follows: L-plan house, earlier 18th century, with stairblock in re-entrant angle, possibly on site of late 16th century house (a pediment dated 1595 is incorporated in the stable block); 3-storey rectangular plan earlier 19th century block added to S, doubling mansion in size, and with simultaneous alterations to earlier fabric; additional 3-storey bay added to E by mid 19th century, main entrance moved to S and given classical porch; service court formed at NW by addition of irregular piend roofed outbuildings, possibly at same date: entire house reconstructed before 1939, after fire of circa 1930.
Rubble cream sandstone, harl pointing to earlier work, with broad droving to dressings; grey ashlar dressings to mid 19th century additions.
S BLOCK: eaves cornice; irregular elevation to S, with advanced, canted bay off-centre to left, bay to left, and 2 bays to right; wide later bay advanced to outer right; tall windows to principal floor; tripartites to ground and principal floor of outer right bay; classical, corniced ashlar porch added in mid 19th century at centre, with keystoned, moulded door surround and 2-leaf panelled doors.
Side elevations each of 2 bays, with 2-storey corniced canted bay added to E elevation.
L-PLAN HOUSE: some windows still with relieving arches, suggesting 18th century date, others largely altered; scrolled skewputts to ashlar coped skews (later additions; roof pitch lowered); end stacks. Chamfered angles to stairblock, piend roof.
SERVICE BUILDINGS: rectangular range added to N end of N-S wing of L-plan, single storey, piend roofed. 2 interlocked blocks on falling ground to W, added to NW corner of E-W wing of L-plan.
Square and horizontal 12- and multi-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: largely destroyed by fire, circa 1930; features retained include elliptical, cantilevered stone stairs with timber balustrade, in stairblock, 18th century, and ornate mid 18th century white marble chimneypiece in E drawing room, brought from Senate Room, Edinburgh University, Old Quad.
WALLED GARDEN AND HOT-HOUSE: large walled garden, with rubble walls of varying heights, partly brick lined and partly harl pointed, sited to W of house. Gateway to E with brick segmental archway and stone overthrow; decorative wrought-iron gate. Decorative late 19th century (?) hot-house, rectangular plan, sited in SE quarter of garden.
BRIDGE: single span rubble bridge of short span over burn to W of house, probably 19th century, and close to service buildings. Round arch; semi-circular coping to parapet.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 13, No.21.
- (2) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 195.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.