Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Bolton Parish Church, Churchyard
- HER number: MEL2693
- HER number: MEL7328
- HER number: MEL7329
- HER number: MEL7327
- Site Name: Bolton Parish Church, Churchyard
- Grid Reference: 350746 670049
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Churchyard, from at least the 17th century
- Description: (1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
STUART MAUSOLEUM: circa 1800. Mausoleum of the Stuarts of Eaglescairnie. Square plan symmetrical, neo-classical ashlar cube and dome; base and blocking courses, and moulded cornice. Recessed round arched panels in each face; arrow slits at centre of 3 sides, doorway in 4th, boarded door. Low ashlar coped rubble enclosure adjoined to doorway elevation.
HEARSE HOUSE: gabled rectangular plan hearse house, linking with adjoining stables of former manse, set in graveyard walls to E. Rubble with ashlar coped skews; carriage doors to W end; ventilation slits to sides.
RETAINING WALLS: rubble, coped retaining walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such (Church of Scotland). A grave-guard stands in the vestibule at the foot of the tower, with rods and skews; an accompanying panel explains its origin after the 1832 Anatomy Act, which required that such be placed over the graves of the recently dead to defeat attempts to "Resurrectionists" or "Body-snatchers". Agnes Burns, mother of the poet, and 2 of her children, are buried at the church, and a bronze commemorative plaque on the retaining walls, announces this fact. The parishes of Yester, Humbie and Bolton have laterally been linked together.
(2) The churchyard predates the current Bolton Parish Church, built in 1809, and contains several notable 17th century stones. A detailed description can be found in Angus Graham's inventory.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (2) Article in serial: Graham, A. 1960-61. 'Graveyard Monuments in East Lothian', PSAS 1960-61, p. 211-271. 227-229.