Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL1439
- HER number: MEL7778
- Site Name: Mayshiel, Bothy
- Grid Reference: 362370 664141
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Bothy, late 18th to 19th century
- Description: NT66SW 21.01 62371 64142
The bothy has been significantly altered and extended, and now forms part of a modern bungalow.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 11/11/2004
(2) From Historic Scotland Listed Building Description 'Notes':
The purpose of the "bothy"
(probably late 18th century, to NE of farmhouse), is
debatable: it possibly began life as either a hen-house or
game larder, and may be of a later date, built by the
Houstons in the earlier 19th century. It is a square
plan, single storey, piend-roofed building in rubble
whinstone with red sandstone dressings; the doorway is
flanked by small circular windows; local grey slates and
a coped central stack. Inside, later 19th century
fireplaces. Currently (1989) in poor condition.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.