Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
St Germains, St Germains Lodge
- HER number: MEL7804
- Site Name: St Germains, St Germains Lodge
- Grid Reference: 342493 674990
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Gate lodge, 19th century
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay, square-plan gate lodge (almost certainly a re-working of an earlier lodge, retaining late 18th century porch); earlier and mid 20th century additions to S (side) and E (rear). Freestone rubble; ashlar dressings (tooled on later alterations); stone cills. Earlier to mid 19th century rubble outbuilding to E (along boundary wall) with lean-to corrugated iron roof.
W (DRIVEWAY) ELEVATION: central grey ashlar broken pedimented porch; chamfered arrises to door jambs; narrow windows on return. Windows to outer bays.
S ELEVATION: 2 windows, that to right (inserted later) with concrete surround.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: rendered flat-roof additions; long glazed sunroom to far right; large box dormer.
N ELEVATION: central window.
INTERIOR: no original features remaining (2003).
Timber sash and case windows with 6-pane upper cases, 2-pane lowers. Exposed rafters to grey slate roof; small Velux window to W elevation. Corniced cement-rendered end stacks.
QUADRANT AND GATEPIERS: stugged grey sandstone ashlar quadrant with ashlar coping to W of lodge. Square-plan, pyramidal capped ashlar gatepiers.
W Forrest, MAP OF HADDINGTONSHIRE (1799) [lodge appears]. J Thomson, ATLAS OF SCOTLAND (1822). 1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1854). J Small, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883). C McWilliam, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN (EXCEPT EDINBURGH) (1978), p421 [refers to estate of St Germains
B-group with St Germains House, Coach House, Cottage and Dovecot. An earlier lodge would probably have been built during the late 18th century when additions were being made to the earlier 18th century St Germains House. There was also an additional West Lodge facing [demolished]. The present lodge is most likely a remodelling of the earlier lodge however retaining the earlier classical porch. The East Lodge forms an integral part of the former St Germains estate which developed on the site of the Bethlehemite Hospital.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: