Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Prestongrange Colliery, Hoffman Kiln
- HER number: MEL7855
- HER number: MEL7854
- Site Name: Prestongrange Colliery, Hoffman Kiln
- Grid Reference: 337095 673592
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Brick kiln, later 19th century
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
Later 19th century. Single storey, 12-bay, rectangular-plan, red brick, 24-chamber 'continuous' Hoffman kiln. Battered walls, with hoodmoulded round-arched openings, comprising doors paired with kiln openings; flat roof. Freestanding 16-stage brick chimney alongside to S, string courses dividing stages, cornice.
J R Baldwin, EXPLORING SCOTLAND'S HERITAGE - LOTHIAN AND THE BORDERS (1985), pp26-7; G D Hay and G P Stell, MONUMENTS OF INDUSTRY (1986), pp139, 154.
A Group with Prestongrange Colliery, Old Generating House and Prestongrange Colliery, Pump House and Pump (see separate listings). The Prestongrange Hoffman Kiln is what remains of a substantial brick and fireclay works, sited near to the colliery to satisfy its need for coal for the firing process.
(1) Field survey undertaken by Prestongrange Community Archaeology Project in 2009 recorded that the kiln and chimney are as described by the Statutory List. The area has now been fenced off and forms part of the Prestongrange Industrial Museum.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones, C. 2009. Prestongrange Community Archaeology Project: Archaeological Field Survey. Site 12.