Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
North Berwick, 2-8 St Andrews Street
- HER number: MEL8851
- HER number: MEL7889
- Site Name: North Berwick, 2-8 St Andrews Street
- Grid Reference: 355261 685224
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: House and shop, early 20th century
- Description: NT58NE 182 55205 85192
(1) (2) A building recording survey of the former optometrist's shop was undertaken in June 2003 by CFA Archaeology Ltd. A two-storey derelict shop with a rectangular garden to the rear stands on the development site and is scheduled for demolition. It is shown on the 1907 OS map but is not on the 1st edition.
The early 20th century building appears to be of a single-phase construction with only minor alterations on the ground floor of the N elevation. There is also residual evidence on the western part of the N elevation for the demolition, sometime during the later 20th century, of an ancillary building.
Report lodged with East Lothian SMR and the NMRS.
M Cressey and S Mitchell 2003
NMRS REPORT DATE: 19/11/2004
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Cressey and Mitchell, M and S. 2003. '7-9 St Andrews Street, North Berwick (North Berwick parish), standing building recording; evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 4 2003, p.62. 62.
- (2) Unpublished document: Cressey and Mitchell, M and S. 2003. 7-9 St Andrews Street, North Berwick: Building Survey and Archaeological Evaluation.
- (3) Digital archive: Cressey and Mitchell, M and S. 2003. 7-9 St Andrews Street, North Berwick: Building Survey and Archaeological Evaluation.
- (4) Unpublished document: Cressey and Mitchell, M and S. 2003. 2-8 St Andrews Street, North Berwick: Watching Brief.