- HER number: MEL7920
- Site Name: Dunbar, Belhaven
- Grid Reference: 366249 679199
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Anti Tank Block (20th Century, Modern, World War II Period)
- Sea Defences (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Sea wall constructred of WWII anti-tank blocks
- Description: (1) On the shore to the west of Winterfield Golf Course at the base of a small sand cliff are over 100 cast concrete anti-tank cubes. They lie scattered at the base of the cliff. Some of the blocks lie under large dumps of sand where it has slumped on top of them.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 15th February 1996.
(2) A coastal defence in the form of a rough sea wall has been constructed using ex-situ concrete WWII anti-tank blocks. The wall extends for over 100m along the coast edge and is up to 4 blocks deep. Further stretches of walling, using broken up concrete rubble. This is visible on 1962 and later AP's (OS 62/33 039 1/5/62, B739 998-9 30/7/73, B758 000 12/6/74).
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 184.
- (2) Unpublished document: Moore, H and Wilson, G. 2006. Report on Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: East Lothian and Scottish Borders. site 27.