Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL842
- Site Name: Phantassie House
- Grid Reference: 359810 677227
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Mid 18th century farmhouse
- Description: NT57NE 40 5980 7722
(1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Mid 18th century, S facing 2-storey farmhouse, re-
orientated with additions as L-plan in early-mid 19th
century. White painted harling, ashlar dressings.
E ELEVATION: entrance front; steps to raised ground
floor semi-circular arched-doorway to centre with large
decorative fanlight and 4-pane side panels; flush
panelled door. Later canted bay windows flanking,
extending to basement.
Recessed 2-bay extension to right, tall windows; with
iron bars at ground.
S ELEVATION: 18th century centre block; 6-bay, door to
3rd bay from left, small windows flanking at ground,
6 windows at 1st floor. 2 taller 2-bay piend-roofed end
wings added circa 1800; 2 windows at ground floor, 2
taller windows to 1st floor. 2 windows at ground on W
re-entrant angle; entrance front to E.
N ELEVATION: irregular service additions of various
heights; irregular window pattern. Sash and case windows
with 12-pane glazing pattern.
Piend roofs, grey slates, ashlar coped wallhead and
ridge stacks; some renewed in brick.
INTERIOR: Some original woodwork and plasterwork.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.