Bci North-east Quarry, East Barns, Dunbar
- HER number: MEL8781
- Site Name: Bci North-east Quarry, East Barns, Dunbar
- Grid Reference: 371287 676762
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Settlement (Late Prehistoric, Neolithic, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Neolithic settlement features
- Description: (1) (2) Excavation on the site of a proposed limestone quarry extension near East Barns, Dunbar, East Lothian in Autumn, 2002 uncovered prehistoric features potentially spanning the Mesolithic to Bronze Age. This work occurred as a consequence of findings from an evaluation undertaken in Spring, 2001 and consisted of the investigation of areas around three of the evaluation trenches (Nos. 19, 22 & 25)
In Trench 22 (NT 7128 7674), a large depression, probably the eroded floor of a structure, other evidence of which fails to survive, was located adjacent to features investigated by the previous year’s evaluation. Ceramic finds from nearby features denote a Neolithic date.
During the evaluation, two shallow pits, a possible post-hole and a possible occupation spread were found in Trench 22. Three of these features produced carinated bowl pottery (early 4th millennium to later 3rd millennium BC).
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Gooder, J. 2001. BCI North-East Quarry, Dunbar: Phase 1 Evaluation Works.
- (2) Unpublished document: Gooder, J. 2001. North-East Quarry, Dunbar: Excavation (2002) Data Structure Report.