The Brae, Athelstaneford
- HER number: MEL8884
- Site Name: The Brae, Athelstaneford
- Grid Reference: 353647 677493
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Site of well
- Description: (1) NT57NW 182 536 775 A watching brief was carried out ahead of a proposed housing development at this 0.73 hectare site, comprising an overgrown field at the NE outskirts of the village. Six trenches were opened, constituting 5% of the development area. The 1907 OS map of the area shows a well midway along the southern boundary of the field and a roofed structure in the NW corner. This was not visible on the ground and was not investigated. The well was not found but is still on the current OS map. It is said locally to be associated with the nearby Malthouse Brewery. A number of field drains were found under the topsoil, but no pre-late 19th/early 20th century features were found.
M Kirby 2005
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Kirby, M.. 2004. The Brae, Athelstaneford, East Lothian: Archaeological Evaluation.