- HER number: MEL8891
- Site Name: Biel Water
- Grid Reference: 364888 677424
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Palisaded Enclosure (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Round House (domestic) (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Settlement (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Palisaded enclosure containing a pit and possible roundhouse, with Iron Age pottery
(1) (2) In May 2003, GUARD undertook archaeological topsoil strip monitoring along the route of the new A1. Near Biel Water an enclosure containing several other archaeological features was revealed. This was subject to a brief rescue excavation, which revealed a palisaded enclosure, 22 x 15m, with a 1.8m wide entrance to the E. Inside the enclosure was a large sub-circular pit that contained deposits generally associated with occupation and domestic activity, including stones, unburnt animal bone, and Iron Age pottery. These deposits were sealed by collapsed stone material. Traces of a second structure, possibly a roundhouse, were identified in the enclosure interior, but could not be investigated in the time available for the work.
Report lodged with East Lothian SMR and the NMRS.
Scottish Executive Development Department: Trunk Roads Design and Construction Division, with HS
G MacGregor, K G McLellan and L H Innes 2003
NMRS REPORT DATE: 16/11/2004
(2) The grid reference given in the DES entry is not accurate. The GIS has been updated according to the DSR.
ELCAS (SL) 12/09/2006
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: MacGregor, McLellan and Innes, G, K G and L H. 2003. 'Biel Water (Dunbar parish), later prehistoric enclosure', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 4 2003, p.55. 55.
- (2) Unpublished document: MacGregor, G & McLellan, K G. 2003. Biel Water, East Lothian.