Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Edward: Belhaven Bay, Firth Of Forth
- HER number: MEL8977
- Site Name: Edward: Belhaven Bay, Firth Of Forth
- Grid Reference: 365000 678999
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Wreck, 1869
- Description: NT67NE 8088 c. 65 79
N56 0 W2 34
Possibly on map sheet NT67NW.
NLO: Dunbar [name: NT 678 790]
Belhaven Bay [name centred NT 655 790].
See also NT67NE 8080 and 8087.
Dunbar, 16th June. Totally wrecked here: - CITIZEN, of Aberdeen: crew lost: COMET, of Goole, from London to Granton, with barley: crew saved: EDWARD, of Svendborg, from London to Charlestown, in ballast: crew saved.
Source: Additional Intelligence, LL, No. 17,213, London, Wednesday, June 16 .
NMRS, MS/829/72 (no. 11651).
(1) (Classified as brig, in ballast: date of loss cited as 15 June 1869). Edward: this vessel stranded East of [the] Tyne Water, Dunbar. Capt. Nelson.
Registration: Danish. 130 tons burthern.
(Location of loss cited as N56 0.5 W2 33.0).
I G Whittaker 1998.
A location within Belhaven Bay may be suggested for this loss.
The location suggested by Whittaker for the loss of this vessel remains unverified.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 August 2005.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. 1998. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters.